Online Pontoon is a popular casino game that has gained immense popularity in Australia. Also known as “Spanish 21”, it is a variant of traditional blackjack but with some unique rule changes that make it a more exciting and challenging game. In Online Pontoon, players aim to beat the dealer by getting as close to 21 points as possible without going over. Players can also make side bets to add an extra layer of excitement to the game. With the rise of online casinos, it’s easier than ever to play Online Pontoon from the comfort of your own home.
Online Pontoon Casinos in Australia
Rules of Online Pontoon
Online Pontoon, similar to blackjack, utilizes a shoe containing decks of 52 cards, with the number of decks ranging from two to eight. The primary aim of the game is to form a hand with a value as near to 21 as possible without surpassing it or create a hand with five cards having a value of 21 points or less. The following are online pontoon rules:
- To begin the game, each player places their bet. The minimum and maximum bets will be determined by the casino or website you’re playing on.
- The dealer will then deal two cards face up to each player, including themselves.
- The goal of the game is to have a hand value closer to 21 than the dealer without going over 21.
- In Pontoon, an Ace is worth 1 or 11 points, a 10, J, Q, and K are worth 10 points, and all other cards are worth their face value.
- Players can choose to “hit” and receive another card to add to their hand, or “stand” and keep their current hand.
- If a player’s hand value exceeds 21, they “bust” and lose their bet.
- Players can also choose to “buy” an additional card to add to their hand after their initial two cards, but this will cost them an additional bet equal to their original bet.
- If a player’s first two cards have the same value, they can choose to “split” them into two separate hands and play each hand individually.
- Players can also choose to “double down” and double their original bet if they are confident in their hand.
- Once all players have finished their turns, the dealer will reveal their second card.
- The dealer must continue to hit until their hand value is at least 17. If the dealer busts, all remaining players win.
- If the dealer’s hand value is higher than a player’s hand value without busting, the player loses their bet.
- If a player has a hand value of 21 with their first two cards (an Ace and a 10, J, Q, or K), they have “Pontoon” and automatically win 2:1 on their bet.
- If a player has a five-card hand that has not busted, they have a “Five Card Trick” and automatically win, regardless of the dealer’s hand value.
- After the round is over, players can choose to continue playing by placing another bet or leave the game.
- Those are the basic rules of playing Pontoon online. Keep in mind that there may be variations to these rules depending on the specific casino or website you’re playing on.
In Pontoon, there are several different types of bets that you can place, including the following:
This is the primary bet in the game, and it’s placed at the beginning of each round. The objective of the main bet is to beat the dealer’s hand by having a hand value closer to 21 without exceeding it.
If your initial two cards are of the same value, you have the option to split them into two separate hands. This will require you to place an additional bet equal to your initial bet.
Players can choose to “buy” an additional card to add to their hand after their initial two cards. This will require you to place an additional bet equal to your initial bet.
Double Down Bet
If you are confident in your hand, you can double your initial bet with a double down bet. This means you will receive one additional card, and then be forced to stand.
If the dealer’s up-card is an Ace, players can place an insurance bet that pays out 2:1 if the dealer has Pontoon. The insurance bet is equal to half of the main bet.
It’s important to note that different casinos or online platforms may have variations in their Pontoon betting options, so it’s always a good idea to check the rules before placing your bets. Additionally, be sure to gamble responsibly and within your budget.
Online Pontoon Hand Rankings
In online Pontoon, the hand rankings are similar to those in traditional blackjack, with a few differences. Here are the hand rankings in Pontoon from highest to lowest:
A hand of two cards that total 21 points. A Pontoon can only be achieved with an Ace and a 10-point card.
Five Card Trick
A hand of five cards that does not exceed 21 points. The Five Card Trick is the second highest hand in Pontoon and beats any other hand except for a Pontoon.
Hand Value of 21
Any hand that totals 21 points, but is not a Pontoon, is the third highest hand in Pontoon.
Hand Value Less Than 21
Any hand that has a value less than 21 points is ranked based on the total point value of the hand.
If a player’s hand value exceeds 21 points, they bust and automatically lose the round.
It’s important to note that the Ace in Pontoon can be counted as either 1 or 11 points, depending on the player’s preference. Also, if a player splits their hand, each new hand will be ranked independently according to the above criteria.
How to Play Pontoon
Pontoon is a card game that is similar to traditional blackjack. The goal of the game is to have a hand value that is as close to 21 as possible without going over. Here are the basic rules for playing Pontoon:
- Game Setup: Pontoon is typically played with a shoe of 52-card decks, with anywhere from two to eight decks used depending on the casino rules. Players place their bets before the cards are dealt.
- Card Values: In Pontoon, cards have the same values as in traditional blackjack, with face cards being worth 10 points, Ace being worth either 1 or 11 points (depending on the player’s choice), and all other cards worth their face value.
- Dealing the Cards: The dealer deals two cards face down to each player and two cards face down to themselves. The dealer’s cards remain hidden until the end of the game.
- Player’s Turn: After receiving their cards, players have the option to “hit” (take another card) or “stand” (keep their current hand). If a player’s hand exceeds 21 points, they lose the game (known as a “bust”).
- Dealer’s Turn: Once all players have completed their turn, the dealer reveals their cards. The dealer must hit until they have a hand value of 17 or higher, and must stand if their hand value is 17 or higher.
- Winning the Game: If a player’s hand is closer to 21 than the dealer’s hand without going over 21, the player wins the game. If the dealer’s hand is closer to 21 or the player busts, the dealer wins.
- Special Hands: In Pontoon, a “Pontoon” is a hand consisting of an Ace and a 10-point card. This is the strongest hand in the game, and typically pays out at 2:1 odds. A “Five Card Trick” is a hand of five cards that totals 21 points or less, and this is the second strongest hand in the game.
It’s important to note that the specific rules and payouts of Pontoon can vary depending on the casino. Be sure to review the rules and regulations of the specific game you are playing before placing your bets.
Pontoon Online Tips and Strategy
Here are some tips and strategies to keep in mind when playing Pontoon online:
- Learn the Rules: Before playing Pontoon online, make sure you fully understand the rules and betting options. Different online casinos or platforms may have variations, so take the time to review the rules and regulations of each specific game.
- Know When to Split: If you’re dealt a pair, consider splitting your hand. This gives you the opportunity to create two separate hands with a better chance of getting a high-ranking hand. However, be cautious when splitting 10-point cards, as you’ll be unlikely to improve your hands.
- Double Down Strategically: When you have a hand with a total value of 9, 10 or 11, consider doubling down to increase your potential payout. But avoid doubling down with a hand value over 11.
- Consider the Dealer’s Up-Card: The dealer’s up-card is a crucial piece of information to consider when deciding whether to hit, stand or double down. If the dealer has a low up-card, consider taking an additional card, whereas if the dealer has a high up-card, you may want to stand or even consider buying a card.
- Use a Basic Strategy Chart: A basic strategy chart can help you make more informed decisions when playing Pontoon. The chart outlines the best plays based on your hand value and the dealer’s up-card.
- Manage Your Bankroll: Set a budget for yourself and stick to it. Don’t chase your losses by increasing your bets to try to win back your money. Instead, take a break or consider trying a different game.
Remember, playing Pontoon online should be a fun and entertaining experience, so don’t forget to enjoy yourself and gamble responsibly.
The odds in Pontoon can vary depending on the specific rules of the game and the strategy used by the player. However, generally speaking, the house edge in Pontoon is lower than that of traditional blackjack.
Here are some basic odds to keep in mind when playing Pontoon:
- Pontoon: The odds of being dealt a Pontoon (an Ace and a 10-point card) are around 2.4%.
- Five Card Trick: The odds of being dealt a Five Card Trick (a hand of five cards that totals 21 points or less) are approximately 1.4%.
- Bust: The odds of busting (going over 21 points) depend on the player’s hand value and the number of cards they have. However, in general, the more cards a player has, the greater the chance of busting.
- House Edge: The house edge in Pontoon can vary depending on the specific rules of the game. However, the typical house edge in Pontoon is around 0.38%, which is lower than the house edge in traditional blackjack.
It’s important to keep in mind that these are just general odds and can vary depending on the specific game and strategy used. It’s always a good idea to review the rules and regulations of the game and develop a solid strategy to increase your chances of winning.
Pros and Cons of Online Pontoon
Like any online casino game, there are both advantages and disadvantages to playing online Pontoon. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
|Convenience: One of the biggest advantages of playing online Pontoon is convenience. Players can access the game from the comfort of their own home or on-the-go, making it a convenient option for those who can’t visit a physical casino.||Lack of Social Interaction: Playing online Pontoon can be a solitary experience, without the social interaction that comes with playing in a physical casino.|
|Access to Different Variations: Online Pontoon offers access to different variations of the game that may not be available in physical casinos. This allows players to choose the specific rules and gameplay that they prefer.||Reliance on Technology: Online Pontoon relies on technology, which can sometimes result in technical difficulties or connectivity issues that could disrupt the gaming experience.|
|Lower House Edge: As mentioned before, the house edge in Pontoon is typically lower than traditional blackjack, making it a more favorable game for players.||Potential for Addiction: As with any gambling activity, there is a potential for addiction, and online Pontoon may make it easier for players to engage in compulsive gambling behavior due to the convenience and accessibility of the game.|
|Bonuses and Promotions: Many online casinos offer bonuses and promotions to players, which can increase their chances of winning or provide extra incentives to play.||Limited Physical Feedback: When playing online, there is no physical feedback to the player, such as chips, cards or the presence of a dealer, which can make it more difficult for some players to feel engaged or immersed in the game.|
Overall, online Pontoon offers convenience and access to different variations of the game, but it may lack the social interaction and physical feedback of playing in a physical casino. It’s important for players to weigh the pros and cons and gamble responsibly.
Why Play Pontoon Over Standard Blackjack?
There are several reasons why players might choose to play Pontoon over standard blackjack:
Lower House Edge
In general, the house edge in Pontoon is lower than in traditional blackjack, which means that players have a better chance of winning. This is because Pontoon typically pays out at a higher rate than blackjack, and also because the dealer must hit on a soft 17 in Pontoon, which gives the player a slight advantage.
Pontoon has some unique rules and gameplay elements that make it an interesting and exciting alternative to traditional blackjack. For example, the game features special hands like the “Five Card Trick” and “Pontoon” that offer higher payouts and can make for more thrilling gameplay.
Access to Different Variations
Playing Pontoon online gives players access to different variations of the game that may not be available in physical casinos. This allows players to choose the specific rules and gameplay that they prefer, and can make for a more customized gaming experience.
More Favorable Rules
Some players may prefer Pontoon because it has more favorable rules than traditional blackjack, such as the ability to double down on any number of cards and the ability to split a hand up to three times.
As mentioned before, Pontoon typically pays out at a higher rate than traditional blackjack, which can make it a more lucrative game for players who are looking to win big.
Ultimately, the decision to play Pontoon over standard blackjack will come down to personal preference and the specific rules and payouts of the game being played. Players should take the time to research the different options available and choose the game that best suits their individual playing style and goals.
Online Pontoon FAQs:
Some variations of Pontoon allow players to surrender their hand and lose only half of their bet. However, this is not a common rule and is not available in all games.
Pontoon is typically played with a shoe of 52-card decks, with anywhere from two to eight decks used depending on the casino rules.
Yes, players can double down on any number of cards in Pontoon, which gives them a better chance of winning.
The minimum and maximum bet for online Pontoon can vary depending on the casino and game you are playing. Check with the casino to see what their specific betting limits are before placing your bets.
Pontoon has some unique rules and gameplay elements that make it different from traditional blackjack. For example, Pontoon typically pays out at a higher rate than blackjack, and also allows players to split a hand up to three times.
Cards have the same values as in traditional blackjack, with face cards being worth 10 points, Ace being worth either 1 or 11 points (depending on the player’s choice), and all other cards worth their face value.
Yes, it is safe to play Pontoon online as long as you choose a reputable and licensed online casino. Look for casinos that are regulated by a reputable authority and use secure encryption methods to protect your personal and financial information.
Yes, many online casinos offer free play versions of Pontoon that allow you to practice the game and try out different strategies without risking any real money.