Pokies, also known as slot machines, are popular gambling in Australia. While they are easy to play, there is a whole world of terminology and jargon that can be confusing for new players. Understanding pokies terminology is essential for Australian players looking to improve their chances of winning.
This article will explore the pokies glossary and terminology for Australian players. By familiarizing yourself with these terms, you will be better equipped to choose suitable machines, make informed betting decisions, and maximize your winnings.
Play Online Pokies for Real Money
Technical Pokies Terms
- RTP: RTP stands for Return to Player, the percentage of money a pokie machine pays out over time. The higher the RTP, the better your chances of winning.
- Volatility: Volatility refers to the level of risk associated with a particular pokie machine.
Machines with high volatility offer larger payouts but pay out less often, whereas machines with low volatility offer more frequent payouts but with smaller amounts.
- Max bet: The maximum bet is the highest amount a player can bet on a particular pokie machine. It is important to note that some bonus features and jackpots are only available when betting the maximum amount.
- Fixed jackpot: A fixed jackpot is a predetermined payout that does not change regardless of the number of players or the amount of bets placed on a pokie machine.
- Coin size: The coin size is the amount of money that a player bets per pay line.
- Maximum bet: The maximum bet is the highest amount a player can bet on a particular pokie machine.
- Minimum bet: The minimum bet is the lowest amount a player can bet on a particular pokie machine.
- Autoplay: Autoplay is a feature that allows players to set the pokie machine to spin automatically for a certain number of rounds.
- Gamble feature: The gamble feature is a feature that allows players to gamble their winnings for a chance to double or quadruple them.
- Hit frequency: Hit frequency refers to the percentage of spins that result in a win.
- Paytable: The paytable is a chart that shows the payouts for each winning combination on a pokie machine.
- Random number generator (RNG): The random number generator is a computer program that determines the outcome of each spin on a pokie machine.
- Random jackpot: A random jackpot is a jackpot that is awarded randomly during a game.
Types of Pokies Terms
- Progressive jackpots: Progressive jackpots are jackpots that increase every time a player bets on a particular machine. They can sometimes reach millions of dollars and be won randomly or by hitting a specific combination of symbols.
- Classic pokies: Classic pokies, also known as traditional pokies, are simple machines that usually have three reels and a single payline. They often feature classic symbols such as fruits, sevens, and bars.
- Fruit machine: A type of pokie originated in the UK and featured symbols such as cherries, lemons, and plums.
- Video pokies: Video pokies use video displays to simulate spinning reels. They often feature multiple paylines, bonus rounds, and animations.
- 3D pokies: 3D pokies use advanced graphics and animations to create a more immersive gaming experience.
Features and Symbols Terms
- Reels: The reels are the vertical spinning columns on a pokie machine. They are usually divided into three or five sections and contain symbols determining the game’s outcome.
- Paylines: Paylines are the lines that run across the reels, and when matching symbols land on them, they result in a win. Some pokies have fixed paylines, while others offer players the option to choose the number of paylines they wish to play.
- Wilds: Wilds are symbols that can substitute for any other symbol on the reels to create a winning combination. They can increase your chances of winning and can sometimes come with multipliers.
- Scatters: Scatter symbols are special symbols that can trigger bonus features or payouts regardless of their position on the reels. They can also sometimes come with multipliers.
- Free spins: Free spins are a bonus feature that allows players to spin the reels without betting any money. They are usually triggered by landing several scatter symbols on the reels.
- Multipliers: Multipliers are features that can multiply your winnings by a certain amount. They can be awarded randomly or as part of a bonus feature.
- Bonus rounds: Bonus rounds are unique features triggered by landing a specific combination of symbols on the reels. They can include free spins, multipliers, and other exciting features.
- Expanding wilds: Expanding wilds are wild symbols that can expand to cover an entire reel, increasing the chances of winning.
- Sticky wild: A sticky wild is a wild symbol that remains in place for several spins, increasing the chances of winning.
- Stacked wild: A stacked wild is a wild symbol that appears on top of other symbols on a reel, increasing the chances of winning.
- Re-spin: A re-spin is a feature that allows players to spin one or more reels again after a spin.
- Random feature: A random feature is a bonus feature triggered randomly during a game.
- Double-up: The double-up is a feature that allows players to double their winnings by guessing the correct colour or suit of a card.
- Double feature: The double feature is a bonus feature that allows players to play two bonus games in a row.
- Cascading wins: Cascading wins, also known as an avalanche or tumbling reels, are features that allow winning symbols to disappear and be replaced by new ones, potentially creating multiple winning combinations in a row.
- All ways: All ways describe pokie machines that offer multiple paylines in all directions, allowing for more potential winning combinations.
Conclusion About Pokies Terminology
Understanding the glossary and terminology used in pokies can greatly enhance your gaming experience. Whether you’re a seasoned player or a beginner, knowing the difference between a fixed jackpot and a random jackpot or understanding what a sticky wild or stacked wild means can help you make more informed decisions and increase your chances of winning. So, before you hit the spin button, take some time to familiarize yourself with these terms and enjoy the thrill of playing pokies like a pro.
Other Pokies Guides: